11:59:59pm !

David shares...
Our departure from Sydney to South Africa was scheduled for Thursday 10:00am. We decided that, in line with the promise we received "as you GO, step by step, the way will be opened unto you", we should bite the bullet and head to South Africa regardless of the fact our permits had not gone through.
I contacted our travel agent in Canada to book a return flight for us, in case SA immigration required more than our one-way ticket to let us in.
Another problem - on turning up at the airport, they wouldn't let us check in an extra bag (a small one to boot), indicating that it would cost us $100 or so excess baggage. I explained what we were doing and where we were going, that two small bags weighing less than 15kgs combined, surely were better than one bag weighing the max allowable of 32kgs. The agent apologetically informed me that she hadn't made up the rules. That, of course, caught me by surprise... I guess I should have known that..!
I asked if we could talk to a supervisor.
In the meantime, our friends Lloyd and Steve offered to take the extra bag home if necessary and find a way to get it to us later. However, the supervisor ended up agreeing to let us go ahead, but said that the extra bag couldn't be checked through Jo'berg to Port Elizabeth with the rest, rather we'd have to sort things out with South African Airways when we got there.
Relieved, we said our goodbyes, marking the end of a fabulous three weeks, catching up with family and friends (sadly, not all we had hoped to see) and headed through Aussie immigration.

As we headed for our gate, I saw a free internet station and decided to check our emails one last time. It was 15 minutes before the boarding call and the line for the computers was moving so slowly (people checking Facebook postings etc) that I figured I'd not get to do it. By now it was 20 minutes before scheduled take-off and I finally got to the computer to find out... OUR PERMITS HAD GONE THROUGH! Last minute or what???
Thank you so much for your prayers!

The Qantas flight was great - a third full and lots of space to stretch out for the 13:20 hour non-stop trip over the Antartic to SA.
However, the landing into Jo'berg was prolonged due to traffic and weather, threatening the stomach sensibilities of all three of my co-travellers. Thankfully in the end, while we went down nothing came up!

By the time we got off it was midnight Aussie time. We wearily collected our 13 pieces of luggage(!), piled high on three carts, and began to make our way to customs, bracing for the potential problems of our extra piece and the clearance of one of our bags, filled with a couple of thousand dollars worth of perscription drugs (a year's worth of malaria tablets, allergy medication etc...)
We had just set off from the carousel, when a uniformed SAA ground staff sauntered up and asked what we were doing. I told him we were transferring to the domestic terminal for our SAA flight to Port Elizabeth. He asked to see our boarding passes, paused a minute then said he'd take us through customs and over to the new check-in. I was a little apprehensive as he took off ahead of us, passes in hand.
True to his word, he led us past the officials, lazily dropping our declarations on a desk as we walked out. He then graciously commandeered Justine's loaded cart and guided us quite a distance to the next terminal.
He took us to a check-in where there was no line-up, manned by a couple of African agents who cheerfully took the bags without question and sent us off with a genuinely warm welcome to Africa!
The folk who picked us up in Port Elizabeth were amazed when we told them, informing us that we'd undoubtedly met our first African angel. Apparently Jo'berg is notoriously problematic with such things as excess baggage, rigidly abiding by the limitations and charging through the nose for any breaches. Our friends had experienced it first-hand.

It was a tremendous relief to finally get off in PE, to the warm welcome of the Fountain Vineyard folk. We're settling in nicely, working on getting our body clocks adjusted. No more time changes for the next couple of years, at least that's what we think...

Comments

Lorna said…
WOW... ISN'T OUR GOD AWESOME!!!
Lara said…
Yahoo you made it! Praise God for his awesome sense of humor! He's the VERY BEST at last minute miracles... To quote a fav movie of mine.." Don't rush me! you rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~miracle max,(The Princess Bride)
love and hugs
Lara & all.
paula wells said…
Hello David--
I don't know if you have had a chance to read email as you have been so very busy. I am an old friend from the past...about 30 something years ago. It was when I visited Europe with my church, First Baptist of Newnan, Georgia. I am enjoying reading your updates on your new life that you and family are now undertaking. I am so amazed at what you all are doing for the LORD. I knew that you were a special person and I admire what you are doing. I look forward to continued reading each day to see what you all will be able to do with GOD'S help. I will keep each one of you in my prayers.
Paula Peak Wells.
DavenLes said…
Hi David,
I wonder if Stewart and Izzy Mitchell (Costa's brother) are still in ministry in PE? I have lost track of them. Stewart and I served with AESA for a couple of years in the early 80's. Support is still coming in at a gentle pace. Hope the permits for Tanzania come in soon. Can we help with this is some way?

All blessings - hope you are glued to the TV when the Springboks face the Lions of England in the WCR finals!!

DR
Owens Family said…
Dave - the news of the permits came through while in Sydney aiport so we're now set!
I'll write a short blog on the Boks and the final... Good place to be with a win!
Thanks for the update. Will ask about the Mitchells.