GLS and World Cup fever



Dave writes -
The day after we arrived in SA, I attended the Global Leadership Summit event put on by Willow Creek. I missed the first day out of exhaustion but was glad I made the effort to go to the second. John Ortberg, Colin Powell and Hybels were among the featured speakers. Inspiring stuff.
Particualrly challenging was Ortberg's talk on "Shadow Mission"; that which we default to when we get distracted from our primary mission. This can mean just missing the mark through issues of selfish ambition etc, or worse, little things which will, over time, develop into a sinister missions of sexual addiction etc...
A couple of weeks ago, my sister-in-law's minister, a well-respected and successful Aussie pastor I met early in our ministry, was discovered to have been leading a double life for several years. While it boggled my mind, it reminded me of the fierce attack we're all under, and how 'shadow mission' can lull us into mini compromises that will prove destructive over time.
Please pray for our marriage and the subtle warfare that we're involved in, along with the more overt stuff that we'll encounter on this continent.

On a lighter note...
What a super time and place to be, in a country that wins the rugby World Cup!
I received an email from our friend Costa, who said, "I trust you'll have the humility to watch the final with your South African hosts!" We did. It was awesome - a pool-side braai of exquisite game (the other kind).
Truth be told, Costa (and of course DaveR, DerekM et al SA'ers), I'm amazed at the Aussies' grace in bowing out so early in the comp to give SA their day of glory! I call that true 'servant leadership', the very thing you guys have been teaching for so long, and in the sporting arena no less!
To my mind, that's the mettle of true champions!

Actually an interesting thing happened here in Port Elizabeth this weekend. While the final was on Saturday, the following night (yesterday, as I write), Michael W Smith was here doing an outdoor concert in the main rugby stadium, which Justine and I attended. It was a night of solid and passionate worship where thousands came together from all churches in the area. It was as if the local church, while revelling in the joys of the previous night's win, was declaring Christ as Lord on the hallowed grounds of rugby.
During the early parts of the concert, lightning beautifully complemented the light show, then as MWS began to sing 'Let it Rain' it did! It was a powerful time, as the crowd called out to God in song to 'open the floodgates of heaven and not be afraid of the rain' (or words to that effect!) The rain conveniently tapered off after the song.
I was reminded of Michael Jones' stand as an All Black, refusing to play on Sundays because he wanted to make the point that rugby was not his God, in a land that probably worships it like no other. I believe God honoured him by enabling him to score the first ever World Cup try, along with being a member of the inaugural World Cup winners. (Incidentally, they haven't won it since though being arguably the world's best much of the time).

Comments

Margie Gush said…
A very well written report of this time in SA - what a time to be here as an Australian!!!!! Wasn't Michael W Smith just great last night. The lightning in the sky behind him was just amazing. I do hope that this time i put a comment it won't again say"mom says" when it's actually MY computer I am typing on.
love to all the family
Margie