In South Africa, at last.......... by judi

So here we are surrounded by extraordinary beauty and warm people with big smiles.
Yesterday was our first experience of church at the Fountain Valley Vineyard and as usual I shouldn't have bothered to wear make-up ...... it only slid off with the tears during the performance of the Sinethemba Childrens home. This word means "hope for the children" in the local dialect and the children are street kids and orphans who have been gathered by a couple in the church. They sang, firstly, without music and their voices were amazingly melodious and the harmonies so rich and African. Later they danced for the congregation and were totally full of God's joy. We are going to visit the home soon so we will get photos of their beautiful faces.
Later in the morning I got to pray for a quiet and mostly unnoticed older African woman who had responded to an altar call along with many others to be found faithful when He returns in answer to Christ's question: Will I find faith on the earth? She quietly returned to her seat and to close the service the pastor asked us to hold hands with the person next to us in a show of unity while he prayed. She happened to be in a row by herself and stood quietly with her head bowed. Myself and another african woman joined her and held her hands. She responded with tears and by gripping my hand tightly and during the prayer I could feel the Holy Spirit ministering to her. At the close of the prayer I asked if I could pray for her and she nodded. As I prayed, tears tumbled down her face and afterwards she rewarded me with a wide, toothless and beautiful smile. When I asked her name she responded "Beauty".
I have been reading Heidi and Roland Baker's book "The Hungry Always get Fed" which is challenging the western mindset of comfort..... Ouch! God is breaking my heart and it is embarrassing to cry so much at the vulnerability of the hungry and the children. But there is more to come! I am sure I will continue to see the poor and broken and will continue to choose a response...
Pray for me!

Comments

paula wells said…
Dear Judi,
You do not know me but I met your husband many years ago. I am from the states and had been looking for David for sometime to find out how he was doing. I am so enjoying reading your comments. They are so touching and I find myself tearing up with each word. It is so amazing to me to hear of you uprooting your lives but, oh how you all will so be awarded. I look forward to hearing more.
God Bless
Paula Peak Wells
Newnan, Georgia
Owens Family said…
Thanks Paula! And lovely to meet you!
Stefani said…
i am loving the updates... keep them coming
Lara said…
Dearest Judi! I will be praying for you, That you dont miss a moment of the richness of this time in your life!
Hugs.
Lara
DavenLes said…
Note from DR in AE Canada:

Hi Judi, I see that the Africa bug has already bitten and you will now find that you will have to pray to the Lord to expand the capacity of your heart every day as you leave a piece of it in many places. Even though it will break often the Lord will heal it and renew it's ability to love beyond your imagination! So glad that the Joburg arrival went well and that the Friendly City has welcomed you so warmly.
Allan B arrived back from his sister Hazel's funeral in Pietermaritsburg. One great outcome from this tragedy was that Hazel had made a commitment to the Lord 3 months ago and the "Christian Centre Church" really cared for the family and spoke of Hazel in a way that none of the family knew about but Allan and all of us here were rejoicing!!
Owens Family said…
Thank you all for your prayers and thanks for the update on Alan's sister Dave. We have been praying for her and for Alan. What great news that she will one day be reunited with Alan in Heaven. We will continue to pray for her children and husband.....
love
Judi