My birthday in Africa by Judi


Saturday, my family and I celebrated my 47th birthday here in Tanzania. What is there to do here you might ask, to celebrate one's birthday?

In the morning I was treated to homemade french toast with raspberries (can you believe we can get raspberries here?) and bananas and make-believe maple syrup. This was served with delicious African coffee and the table was outdoors and strewn with frangipanes blossoms and plumbago flowers. Justine and Zac improvised and used a lace curtain as a tablecloth and set the table fit for a queen. Zac had made a 3D birthday card in the shape of a lion's head with a mouth that opened....truly awesome.

After this Justine took me to the closest western complex that we have. There are cinemas and restuarants and a beauty spa. At the beauty spa we couldnt believe our eyes when we saw that pedicures were available for 7,000 Tz shillings which is equal to $5.90 Canadian.....we couldnt resist. Justine and I had the experience of a lifetime with our feet being scrubbed with ...... was it steel wool?? no just very zealous beauty therapists who almost drew blood. They attacked our toenails which are permanently caked in dust with wooden skewers and we have never seen cleaner, pinker feet in all our born days.

Meanwhile, the Congolese hairdresser smooched his way around the gallery of young women working at the spa. First ogling, then caressing each of the african workers in turn.... a disgusting sight of sexual harrassment for any western woman.... even more upsetting their inviting glances in response...

I decided that I would not only have my feet done but I would give the young girls a little motherly advice on how to avoid "letches" and aim a little higher in their pursuit for a boyfriend.

Justine would have found this all very amusing if she wasn't doubled over in laughter from her ticklish feet throughout her pedicure. Not a relaxing experience for her but for $5.90 we are very happy with our pretty little toes.

After this my lovely husband took me to the Coffee plantation for lunch where you sit under trees and if you are lucky monkeys come to steal your food. I was not so lucky.

Later we drove by the many plant nurseries on the side of the road and I picked up some palms and some ficus for my back porch with the birthday money I had been given from the Engedi team. 4 ficus and 3 golden palms for $17.... another bargain.

oh, by the way, another blessing was the divine lemon meringue pie my daughter made for my birthday cake.....

Truly a blessed day!!

Comments

Margie Gush said…
That Lemon meringue LOOKS DELICIOUS - In fact how could you even give us a picture of it - my mouth is watering!! so happy you had a wonderful birthday - your pedicure sounded hysterical!! chat to you soon lots of love
Suse Dawe said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDI.
IT SOUNDS A LOVELY DAY!
LOTS OF LOVE,
SUSE