I always knew I would hold african babies in my arms....just didn't expect them to have names like Innocent or Praygod.



African babies love my face..... no one has been able to ascertain why. Maybe its the freckles, maybe its the hair that blows in the wind..... but they stare and smile and stare and smile......

I recently held baby Innocent in my arms. He was quiet for a full 10 mins and his eyes went from my face to my hair to my teeth (when I laughed). He would smile and then stare some more. His mum was really blessed.... she got to get on with her beading uninterrupted.

The other baby I held recently actually laughed at my hair colour and how it blew in the wind...... it was also a masai baby and many of them don't have names till they are 2 yrs due to the high infant mortality rate. So I am not sure this baby had a name.

Other names of children here that are interesting to a western ear are: Praygod, Praisegod, Godbless, Godsave, Gladness, Innocent, Faith, Happy, not to mention all the old testament names: Naphtali, Obed, Obadiah, Samuel, Absalom, Elisha, Zechariah,

Any other examples??

Comments

Anonymous said…
Even babies can sense the love of Jesus in your smile Judi. I'm not at all surprised, and I don't think it is just your skin colour. Imagine how much fun Jesus had holding little ones, and how they must have responded to his great love and smile too.

Bless you as you bless the children.
Anonymous said…
awesome photos!! xmin
Anonymous said…
You are surprised?
So beautiful.
Susan
Pat theodor said…
They see and sense jesus in your smile and touch...pattixxx