Nacho Libre, Shanga beads and dreams.......


Nacho Libre is one of my favourite films. The movie speaks to me of expressing God's kingdom in new and innovative ways that break the norm and use the unique passions and talents He has placed in all of us....

Yes, I got all that out of it.... you need to watch it again. O.K so I have a little bias in that I have been known to watch World Championship Wrestling for therapy ......but this movie truly inspired me. For me its about daring to do your dreams.

Today, was our 26th wedding anniversary. We celebrated in Tanzania, Africa. My husband and i are getting to do our dreams. Or more specifically, the dreams in God's heart for us. The double blessing was that we celebrated at a lovely restaurant called Riverhouse where Shanga beads are made. (see http://www.shanga.org/)This lovely restaurant supports a local project. This project provides employment for the deaf, blind and physically and mentally challenged. In this part of the world, these people are shameful and useless parts of the family, hidden away without investment.



This project gives them employment and education (teaches sign language) plus those that are mute are finally been able to text with the phones donated by Zain (the local telecommunications carrier). These people are finally making more money than anyone else in their family and are valued by their families and community.



The woman running this project is getting to do her dream also...

David and I get to do our dreams as we reach out to muslims, empower masai women, share God's love with expats and model and preach grace for Tanzanian pastors.

I pray that you too, will get to do the dreams that God has placed in your heart. Sometimes it takes touching someone else's dream to be inspired. If we can inspire you......karibuni (welcome).

Comments

justine said…
mum you know when you spend too much time with someone you start to look like them?? Dad do you agree with me when I say Jack Black kind of looks like mum when she gets up in the morning in that pic??? It's the eyes, the confused look, and the hair I think...
Owens Family said…
Juss,
you are too kind!
mum
Anonymous said…
I can't say you have said anything to encourage me to watch jack Black but for the dreaming, I'm with you,

Susan

love the shanga beads
Owens Family said…
Susan,
not only should you watch Jack Black in Nacho Libre but you should do it in leotards!!!!

you would love it!!! I feel sure.
Judi
Anonymous said…
Judi...you really have to get over this World Championship Wrestling thing...it's disturbing...we'll pray for you!!! Min
Anonymous said…
Mamma! I LOVE this.. this is one of my favourites too!
'I know a butt load of crap about the gospel'.. and I too have been inspired by this film. (Covert baptisms are now rife in the youth)

Lots of Love (I had a small tear in my eye reading this one!) x
sonia said…
that's was awesome knowing that any abilities people who is deaf and blind that they can do things so amazingly & creativity in their own unqiue and that's really special,i truly appreciate your thoughts and your excitment about this news as i totally agree this is a wonderful,excitment to share ths with somebody!!! i can't wait to see those who make them such as beaded necklaces & earrings and so much more they can created to the new shop mama masai,i'm so excited about the shop and helping you and the wonderful community to this amazing ability of this,love to you heaps xxxsonia scott