Text messages in Tanzania.... What joy!


The following is a series of texts that I received from my dressmaking "fundi" expert here in Arusha....

He is a father of four, a lovely christian man and has sewn many things for me in the past. In the photo above he is holding up some backpacks he has sewn for Bonnie's shop.

His English is most probably better than my Swahili and I am sure he has a good laugh at my swahili texts that I send him. He prefers it if I speak and text in English because he wants to improve his English. From the following series of texts it is difficult to ascertain which of us has English as a second language. My texts are the ones in BOLD. Julius' are in italics.

This Sunday I am speaking on the difference btw the role of the priest in the OT and the NT. To better make my point that we are all priests and we no longer need special clothing etc. I am having Julius make me an OT caftan in white ... I will add the pomegranates etc....

He has no idea what my plan is and I simply ask him for a long white caftan:

Hi Julius. How r u? How much for a long white caftan. to fit a man. Not using good material? Mama Judi

His reply:Sorry madame.long caftan do u mine trouther?

No trousers.

Is the gament for place where drinks and simple meals availeble?

No just a sunday school story for kids. Not 4 good wear.

ok. i understanding. so how many years model has?

A man about 40 yrs old. He will be old testament priest.

3.5mts.

Is this enough to make a long dress say for my size?

Just buy 4 mts becaus i think its lake Jesus wear.


Sawa. How much 4 you to sew before saturday?

13,000tz have tetron cotton.

Can it be finished by friday? It would need sleeves between elbow and wrist. Also, a round neck with a slit so it can be pulled over the head. Is it all possible by friday?

Oh.yes is posble.

ok. Can u go ahead & I pick up and pay friday am?

Yes madame.

I hope to post a picture here of the finished article, soon.

Comments

USA2AUS said…
i found this a thoroughly entertaining conversation!