There are no short cuts to faith!


When God asks us to do something that is way beyond our ability and resources, it stretches our faith and causes us all kinds of insecurities.
There are many temptations that arise when we face obstacles to our vision.

We are tempted to rework the vision or outcome and make it smaller

We are tempted to blame others for lack of obvious fruit

We are tempted to take charge and fill the gaps we can fill and not wait for God's answer

We are tempted to worry and complain

We are tempted to be angry and frustrated

We are tempted to accuse God

However, the only way through is to get on our face and "do carpet time" ... cry out to God. Seeking His face and hearing from God while we wait for answers and His resources, forms in us something of perseverance, peace, the Lordship of Christ. We need to settle our doubts honestly before God. Settle our fears, our inner conflicts before a loving Father and hear His answers.

This is often done in a season of pain. Something we seriously try to avoid is pain and yet it is in this crucible that so much of our faith and character is formed.

It sometimes saddens me that I spend so much time with God when I am lacking, when I am hurting, when I am in need and tend to skip along forgetting Him when things are going well. Is this relationship purely expedient? I don't think so ... but sometimes it must look that way.

My African brothers and sisters inspire me with their deep spirituality. When faced with a lack of food, what do they do? They see it as a forced fast, using the opportunity to cry out to God and trust Him excitedly for an answer. They don't battle with self pity, anger, doubt and lack of love because their Christianity is not from a paradigm of being cosseted and cared for with every need taken care of, immediately. When their needs aren't met, which they aren't (on a regular basis) they see it as God's intervention to get their attention and assume it is time for prayer!

A good challenge for me! God is still God when my needs aren't met immediately. His timetable has a purpose to grow me and bring me to maturity where I can say with Paul & Timothy:

I timothy 6: 6-7
6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.

7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.

and with Paul:
Philippians 4:11-13
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plent or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this!
Love S.