African Vineyard Leaders meeting in Burundi

I got back from Bujumbura, Burindi, almost a week ago now. The trip was eventful from the moment I got on the bus shuttle to Nairobi to my return to Mt Kilimanjaro airport five days later!

While I was checking in for the flight in NBO, there was a bishop in full regalia going through security in front of me. I sat next to him while putting my shoes back on, and started up conversation.
He lit up in surprise when I mentioned Vineyard. He was the leader of a Pentecostal denomination in Burundi and had long tracked with Vineyard over 15 years. Small world!
Even more interesting was my time with the guy sitting next to me on board.
I had already squeezed my carry-on under the seat next to me, relieved it was such a light flight, and happy to be able to stretch out…. but wouldn’t you know it…?
Just before the doors closed, a Canadian gentleman walked down the aisle and stopped, pointing to the window seat next to me. I laboriously moved my stuff, glancing over at all the empty seats adjacent to us.
However, now well used to the fact that the Lord is more interested in his purposes than my comfort, I sensed this was significant and happily engaged in conversation.

An amazing humanitarian and philanthropist, Wayne, an espoused agnostic, launched into telling me about his journey of faith and work.
By the time we took off, we were already deeply engaged in discussing spiritual things, and were still there as I had to leave the aircraft in Burundi, hardly wasting words on farewells. A delightful experience.

The time in Burundi was very profitable, joining with 20 or so folk from around the continent as well as 4 from overseas.





Great food and company...







I arrived late afternoon and just missed the early birds' tour of the city, so after checking into my room, I asked if it was safe to go for a walk. Our conference coordinator assured me that it was, so I headed off down toward Lake Tanganyka, a mere kilometre away. It was a rural stretch, with pockets of workers that were finishing up their shifts on the half-built houses scattered around. I felt a little nervous, a very white and very vulnerable looking figure walking down the dirt path.


Noah Gitau (centre) - the Lake path behind



I got more nervous hearing footsteps behind me walking at the same pace. Eventually I decided to turn around and head back to the hotel, hoping it wasn't too late given I was being followed.
Thankfully I recognized my 'follower' as a member of the staff, who, seeing me take the lake road, decided to follow me to make sure I was ok. I greeted him and he shyly said in his broad French accent, "You are white, you are alone, there are bandits there" nodding down the path. I happily accompanied him back to my safe-haven.

The conference went well, special times of worship, teaching, strategizing. What a blessing reconnecting with friends and new colleagues - very special people.



Talking about Tanzania...






There were significant signs of the supernatural too - not least that of my room-mate sleeping through my snoring for three straight nights!

Our time concluded with an inspiring night of worship night at the Kinanira Vineyard - one of the high-lights being a three-way jam on a single djembe... try and beat that!





My return was pretty eventful too, with a Rwandair flight crew that had the wrong flight plan! Instead of flying to Arusha first, they headed for DAR, with EVERYONE on board scheduled for the reverse. We were 3 hours late and the DAR passengers 3 hours early... but we got there!

When you hear or think of Burundi, please pray. It’s experiencing a very uneasy peace at the moment, seemingly undeterred by it’s neighbour's tragic example of inter-tribal hatred and wholesale destruction.

Comments